Friday, December 12, 2008

Rainy Day Musings


Its raining today! Nothing unusual you say? We have been in drought in parts of South Australia for several years now, so a whole month's worth of rain, which is what they promised us on the weather forecast last night, is very blogworthy; as rain, or rather the lack of it, affects my spinning.

I love raw fleece, and my favourite fleece enabler is http://www.moseleyparkhome.com/store/Default.asp also in South Australia, on the Eyre Peninsula, at Kimba, which can also be very dry.

I have been de-stashing, and washing the fleece as I go along, which is blowing my water allowance to pieces, but the really, really frustrating part is that just as I think the fleece is ready to come inside, it rains. Not a lot, but just enough to make my fleece damp again, and to ensure that the milkweed in my backyard is thriving. It might be summer, but we get better drying weather in the middle of winter!

So while my latest fleece tries to dry in the bathroom (this is day number 3, grrrr, and I got it indoors BEFORE it started raining yeaterday), and while I am waiting for my latest wheel to arrive, I shall update you on Arnie, photo above.
Arnie is the Ashford Country Spinner I acquired at the equipment sale last month - big and heavy like his name-sake. Don't get me wrong - I like the wheel and I love the yarn he produces, but since I spin while seated on the settee in my small lounge room and watch TV while spinning, I have to go with the seating arrangements available. And its all wrong for Arnie. Maybe its that I don't have skinny thighs, or my knees are too big, and I know my feet are definitely far too small, but I like to treadle with both feet firmly on the single treadle. Which I could do with Arnie, if that frame didn't get in the way!

So, I have one foot in front of the other, which puts me slightly off-balance for finding the sweet spot where not much effort is needed in order to treadle, and away I go, and away go my thigh muscles! Which is another reason for calling the spinner Arnie.

The solution of course is to find a different seat or wheel, but I did say that my lounge room is very small, and here in Australia we have been very limited in the style and brand of wheel available. To some extent we still are. Once a wheel is built, it often doesn't move very far because of freight charges, and many wheels are simply too awkward to fit in the back of a car. Even Arnie came home in pieces, and the wheel I am patiently waiting for will arrive in pieces, to be lovingly re-assembled this afternoon. I have already tentatively fixed on a name for her: Mary. (Big wheel keeps on turning and all that!), Since she has a motor, I hope its a good omen for the future!

This won't mean the end of Arnie, because Arnie was bought with a specific purpose in mind: plying fancy beaded yarns that won't go through a regular orifice. I have also discovered that I can control the yarn being spun almost to the inch as I go, which as any spindle spinner knows, is a big, big plus. and the default tension on the wheel is perfect for thick, soft, bulky yarns with lots of loft!

No comments: